Thursday, August 18, 2011

Big Brothers Big Sisters

I know that between three jobs and two puppies I should feel more than content with my current commitments; however, over the past month I have felt like something is missing.  When friends started talking excitedly about returning to college soon, I realized that I was kind of jealous.  Most definitely not because I wish I was still taking classes - I cannot explain how ecstatic I am to have graduated - but, because I can no longer be involved in student organizations.  I made them such a big part of who I was in college, and now that's over.
So, I started thinking about what I could do to fill that void without giving up every last moment of free time that I occasionally have.  Community engagement is what I feel I am missing, so it is what I sought.  I remembered that I met some ladies from Big Brothers Big Sisters at a Chamber Networking News meeting during my internship with the American Red Cross.  Shortly after sending a couple emails, filling out the appropriate paperwork, and waiting for reference checks, I was accepted and asked to an interview.  I was (unnecessarily) somewhat nervous about the interview.  What if I say the wrong thing?  What if I don't know how to answer a question?  Turned out I was silly to feel that way.
I have just gotten home from the best interview ever - at least for me.  I met with two ladies from Big Brothers Big Sisters at Barnes & Noble and chat-chitted about everything that popped into our heads while also discussing the responsibilities of a Big, the potential obstacles that might be experienced with a Little, and appropriate boundaries to set with the Little and the Little's family so as not to feel burdened.  It was wonderful to sit in an interview where everyone was sharing.  In fact, we were there for three hours.  I left feeling like I had known these women for years, and even have plans to meet one of them at the church I was already planning to check out near my apartment.  So, be on the look-out for my post about my Little match, because I'm really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment