Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Thanksgiving...well, I survived it. I'm rather content with this as I wasn't so sure it would happen. And, then it almost didn't happen. My family is crazy (They know this, so I'm not hurting any feelings.) and can be incredibly stressful to be around all at once. Add to that the many ways that my family has changed in the past months (marriages, divorces, babies, and new significant others) and it was bound to be an "interesting" evening. My expectations were, of course, spot on. Awkwardness and tears were most definitely present at both Thanksgiving dinners; however, this is not what almost killed me.
While driving to my Mamaw's house in the rain, the front brakes of my car decided to lock up in the middle of a left turn. As my car began to drift and then spin out of control, my engine died. Originally, I was headed toward the trees to the righthand side of the road, but as my back end spun around my front end I began to slide toward oncoming traffic without the ability to steer. I unexplainably came to a stop facing the opposite direction I had intended, crooked across the two lanes of the road that no one else was using. My car was undamaged. I was uninjured. No one else had been inconvenienced by my spin out. It was terrifying, but perfectly fortunate. As always, the food was delicious once I finally made it to my Mamaw's house. Seeing my younger siblings was pretty awesome too!

No comments:

Post a Comment